Dysart prioritizes the safety and security of students, and is committed to providing a safe learning environment. We have highly qualified team members and partnerships with law enforcement to continually monitor and evaluate our protocols.
Dysart Schools have a comprehensive plan in place to support our focus on safe schools, which includes but is not limited to:
- Strong partnerships with local law enforcement and first responders, including School Resource Officers (SRO) at middle/high schools and a new district Safety Coordinator
- School Emergency Response Teams (SERT) on each campus to discuss and plan facility safety and emergency response procedures.
- Threat Assessment Teams on each campus to investigate potential threats, bullying, discipline, and safety to individuals or the campus, including reporting to law enforcement as needed.
- Planned practice drills and staff training throughout the year
- Specific safety protocols in place for each type of emergency response: evacuation, lockdown, modified lockdown, shelter in place.
- Single point of entry for visitors and required sign-in through the front office
- Online Safe Report or Safe Schools hotline at Dysart.org/safereport or 623-876-7009.
School/Site Emergency Response Teams (SERT)
SERT teams of various staff members on each campus meet regularly to discuss and plan facility safety, bullying, discipline, and emergency response procedures. The teams are supported by the Director of Student Services and the Safety Coordinator, and analyze survey and historical data as a resource to determine and plan necessary responses.
Threat Assessment Teams
Threat Assessment Teams on each campus to investigate potential threats to individuals or the campus, including reporting to law enforcement as needed. The district safety coordinator works with these teams to provide them with training and resources to support an immediate response on their campus. The safety coordinator works hand-in-hand with the team to find solutions for resolution, or to refer issues to law enforcement if necessary.
LAW ENFORCEMENT SUPPORT
School Resource Officers (SRO): Dysart has SROs on high school and middle school campuses to support the safety of all students and staff. They enjoy engaging with students and are a great resource that can point people in the right direction if they have concerns within the community or at home. Aside from general campus engagement and resource help, SROs assist with occasional incidents of a criminal nature that impact the campus. Families are encouraged to get to know our resource officers and learn more about how they support our schools.
Local Agencies: Our local police and fire agencies in Surprise and El Mirage team up on a regular basis with our district and each other to respond to calls for service, and share resources and training opportunities.
Safety Coordinator: This NEW position within the district leads Dysart Schools and support facilities with all things safety. This position audits and updates all site safety procedures and plans, coordinates and helps to facilitate our emergency drills and organizes on-going training. The Safety Coordinator is the liaison between the district and our first responders, and is available to our PTA’s and other community support groups for training, questions, and resources.