Skip to Content Skip to Footer Accessibility Concerns
Front of Dysart Unified School District Building

Dysart Participates in National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs


Dysart Unified School District will be participating in the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program. As part of this program, Dysart Unified School District will offer healthy meals every school day. Breakfast will cost $1.25; lunch will cost $2.60 for elementary and $2.85 for high school. Children may qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Reduced-price meals cost $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. 

As part of this program, El Mirage Elementary School will offer healthy meals every school day at NO COST to the students due to the implementation of the Community Eligibility Provision 2 Base Year for school year 20/21. Students will be able to participate in these meal programs without having to pay a fee, but households must fill out the free or reduced meal application to requalify for Provision 2 for the next five years. 

Qualifications for children to receive free or reduced price meals include: belonging to a household whose income is at or below the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines, belonging to a household that receives public assistance, or if the child is homeless, migrant, runaway, foster, or participates in a Head Start or Even Start preschool program.

Household size and income criteria are used to determine eligibility for free/reduced-price benefits if the household does not receive assistance or the children are not in the other categories mentioned above. Children can get free/reduced-price meals if the household’s gross income falls at or below the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guideline.  

To apply for free/reduced-price meals, house­holds can fill out the application and return it to the school. Application forms are being distributed to all households with a letter informing households of the availability of free/reduced-price meals for their children and what is required to complete the application. Applications also are avail­able at or in the schools front office.

Families can apply for benefits at any time. If a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size increases, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the children of the household eligible for benefits if the household's income falls at or below the Federal Guidelines. Call Nutrition Services at 623-876-7075 to request an application.

Under the provisions of the free/reduced-price policy, the Nutrition Liaison will review applications and determine eligibility.  Parents/guardians dissatisfied with the ruling of the official may wish to discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis. Parents wishing to make a formal appeal for a hearing on the decision may make a request either orally or in writing to Nutrition Services 13825 W. Desert Cove Rd. Surprise, AZ 85379.

When known to Dysart Unified households will be notified of their children’s eligibility for free meals if they are members of households receiving assistance from the: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR); or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), if the State program meets Federal standards.

An application is not required for free meal benefits for Assistance Program participants and all of the children in the household are eligible for free meal benefits. If any children were not listed on the notice of eligibility, or if a household does not receive a notice of eligibility, the household should contact the school to have free meal benefits extended to them. Participants in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals, but they will need to turn in an application including household size and total income.

When known to Dysart Unified households will also be notified of any child’s eligibility for free meals if the individual child is considered “Other Source Categorically Eligible”, because the child is categorized, as defined by law as: Foster, Homeless, Migrant, Runaway, Enrolled in an eligible Head Start, or  an eligible pre-kindergarten class.

If any children were not listed on the notice of eligibility, the household should contact the school about their eligibility through the list above, or should submit an income application. Households notified of their children’s eligibility must contact the school if the household chooses to decline the free meal benefits.

For more information, call Nutrition Services at 623-876-7075 or e-mail


The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information requested in order to verify your children’s eligibility for free/reduced-price meals. If you do not provide the information or provide incomplete information, your children may no longer receive free/reduced-price meals.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found at, or at any USDA office, or write a letter to USDA and provide all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

For More Information

15802 N Parkview Place, Surprise